2021 Goals & Activites
The mission of People First of Nebraska is to teach people with disabilities how to speak out for themselves and others, make them aware of their rights and responsibilities as citizens, support their self-advocacy, and support their development as leaders in the disability community. We will achieve this mission this year by supporting local PFN chapters across Nebraska with training and technical assistance, policy advocacy at the state and national levels, and by participating in boards and work groups and collaborating on projects with other disability organizations.
GOAL ONE: People First of Nebraska, Inc. is a strong and engaged leader in disability advocacy in the region and nationally and is developing the expertise to provide unique services to build sustainability.
Goal 1: Activities
- PFN will work with self-advocacy organizations from Iowa, Missouri, and Kansas co-sponsor a regional SOAR conference in Des Moines, IA.
- At least one People First member will attend a national disability-related conference.
GOAL Two: People First of Nebraska, Inc. is a strong and engaged leader in disability advocacy in Nebraska.
Goal 2: Activities
- Two PFN members and two additional self-advocates will serve as Disability Policy Specialists during the 2021 Nebraska legislative session.
- PFN will hold at least two events or activities with the Nebraska Youth Leadership Council.
GOAL Three: People First of Nebraska, Inc. engages its chapters and the community to promote awareness, inclusion, and meaningful employment.
Goal 3: Activities
- PFN will sponsor a one-day virtual Convention that includes at least 6 breakout sessions co-facilitated by people with disabilities and will host monthly virtual events for learning, and networking
- PFN will collaborate with other DD Council grantees to provide input from self-advocates in the development, implementation, and evaluation of those projects and products.