2020 Goals & Activites
The mission of People First of Nebraska is to teach people with disabilities how to speak out for themselves and others, make them aware of their rights and responsibilities as citizens, support their self-advocacy, and support their development as leaders in the disability community. We will achieve this mission this year by supporting local PFN chapters across Nebraska with training and technical assistance, policy advocacy at the state and national levels, and by participating in boards and work groups and collaborating on projects with other disability organizations. PFN also provides self-advocacy, leadership training, and networking experiences for self-advocates at our annual two-day state convention.
GOAL 1: People First of Nebraska, Inc. is a strong and engaged leader in disability advocacy in the region and is developing the expertise to provide unique services to build sustainability.
Goal 1: Activities
- At least 12 PFN members and coordinators will attend the Self Advocate Coalition of Kansas (SACK) conference in Kansas and present at least two sessions at the conference.
- PFN will collaborate with the Self Advocate Coalition of Kansas (SACK) to hold a minimum of two listening sessions along the Kansas-Nebraska border to identify the needs of individuals with disabilities living in rural areas and to recruit new advocates.
GOAL 2: People First of Nebraska, Inc. is a strong and engaged leader in disability advocacy in Nebraska.
Goal 2: Activities
- Two PFN members and two additional self-advocates will serve as PFN Disability Policy Specialists during the 2020 Nebraska legislative session.
- PFN will collaborate with other disability organizations in the state and with our local chapters to create a catalog of at least 20 personal memoirs from people with disabilities that tell stories about employment, education, home, friends, family, faith, and community.
GOAL 3: People First of Nebraska, Inc. engages its chapters and the community to promote awareness, inclusion, and meaningful employment.
Goal 3: Activities
- PFN will present panel discussion at our convention that includes individuals with disabilities who have found successful competitive employment.
- PFN will collaborate with other DD Council grantees to provide input from self-advocates in the development, implementation, and evaluation of those projects and products.